Ever wanted to try a new hobby but couldn’t get started because you were worried about being bad at it? It happens to the best of us…
Fortunately, my guest on today’s episode is going to share a way for YOU to overcome your fear failure.
Writer and publisher Karen Rinaldi had always wanted to surf, but many of her old fears had held her back: Fear of deep water, fear of failing, and most importantly, a fear of looking foolish.
But to Karen’s surprise, as soon as she had her first lesson she was hooked. But that doesn’t mean she was a natural — far from it! It took Karen 5 years before she finally was able to paddle out and successfully ride a wave.
Now she’s sharing her experience in a brand new book with a wonderful title. It’s called (It’s Great to) Suck at Something and on today’s episode of the Dr. Gundry Podcast, Karen and I are going to chat all about the power of “sucking at something.”
We’ll also discuss how you can use new hobbies to stay physically and mentally sharp as you age and the fears that might be holding YOU back from getting started.
So if you’ve ever dreamed of learning a new language, traveling the world, or taking up a hobby like pottery-making or snowboarding, you’ll learn why it’s actually important to your health to try it — even if you’re terrible at it!
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Why you should NEVER give up on something you enjoy — even if you’re terrible at it (3:30)
- How a challenging new hobby can keep your mind and body sharp as you age (6:45)
- One simple way to start experiencing more kindness from others (9:45)
- The important lesson Penny and I learned while scaling a dangerous mountain in Ethiopia working with Charity: water. “I had to trust another person I did not know…” (11:30)
- One of my favorite hobbies (and why I’m HORRIBLE at it) (13:50)
- How Karen used surfing to recover from a cancer diagnosis. “You have to learn to surrender… and fight to get strong again” (21:15)
- The factors that might be holding YOU back from doing the things you’ve always wanted to try — and how you can overcome them (25:45)
- Karen’s “fantasy” hack for discovering what you’d most like to learn (30:30)
- How to take power away from the “haters” (31:45)
- Why laughing at yourself is “the greatest gift in the world” (36:15)
- The true difference between yams and sweet potatoes and the one type of sweet potato you NEED to try (37:45)
Mentioned on this episode:
If you like this episode, you may also enjoy: