Childbirth can be one of the most transformative and beautiful moments in a mother’s life.
But all too often, pregnant women aren’t listened to by their doctors and midwives, leaving them feeling scared, vulnerable, and even at-risk during the birthing process.
My guest on today’s episode of The Dr. Gundry Podcast says all that needs to change.
Milli Hill is the founder of the Positive Birth Movement and the author of The Positive Birth Book and Give Birth Like a Feminist.
So whether you’re already a mother, are thinking of having kids, or want to learn how YOU can support the new mothers in your life, Milli will provide you with the tools you need to speak up and get the health services that you and your loved ones really need.
We also discuss what a positive birth can look like, the TRUTH about water births, and why it’s always OK to change your doctor (especially if he or she is NOT listening to you).
Believe me, few issues are more important to me than patient advocacy. It’s an absolutely CRUCIAL issue — especially for new mothers.
On this episode, you’ll learn:
- Why the birth of Milli’s first child left her “shell-shocked” — but empowered her to start a movement (3:00)
- How one “language slip” keeps so many women from controlling THEIR pregnancies (5:45)
- How Milli used networks of “birth clubs” to empower women from around the world to get the care they deserve (9:15)
- Why a positive birth experience is NOT about where you are, but about how you feel (10:30)
- How societal attitudes about giving birth can SERIOUSLY hurt women’s health during pregnancy (12:45)
- The medical experiences of my patients that really tick me off! (15:45)
- What it might be like if men had to go through the birth experience (17:00)
- Why it’s totally OK — sometimes even NECESSARY — to change your doctor (or midwife) (21:15)
- The TRUTH about water births (22:45)
- The ridiculous reason why I had to write a prescription so one of my pregnant patients could get what she wanted during childbirth (26:30)
- How you can help make the entire birth experience better for yourself, your baby, and your family (29:40)
- Milli’s advice for getting what you need during childbirth WITHOUT turning into a “Birthzilla” (32:00)
- Why it’s crucial to complain sometimes — especially when it comes to your health (35:45)
Mentioned in this episode:
If you like this episode, you may also enjoy:
Watch on YouTube: