My guest on today’s show, Paul Risse, is a husband, father, and a bit of a modern Renaissance man—but also happens to be a deep well of knowledge in the realm of psychedelics and Christianity.
He was a personal trainer on ABC’s Extreme Makeover TV show in L.A. as well as a personal trainer, chef, and life coach for “Average Joe on the Raw.” He ate 100% raw vegan for a couple of years and lived off-grid with no electricity for a year. He is the CEO of Cleanse America, which has led 10,000 people through a cleansing process over the course of 2 years. He created and ran a smoothie bar called Barefoot Market for 6 years. He built his own “tiny house” with no experience going into the process and wrote a book about the journey called Kinda Tiny Home: An Unorthodox Approach to Building & Owning Your Own Home. He is currently a designer and builder with the Hayhurst Brothers. His business has been on the DIY network show “Texas Flip and Move” the past two years, and he is now preparing to film a new show for HGTV.
Paul has taken psychedelics around 1,000 times over the course of a decade, including DMT, Salvia, 2CB, 2CI, and LSD, but 99% of what he engaged with were mushrooms. He is almost finished writing his new book entitled The Psychedelic Christian, which will be written for people searching the spirit realm for truth.
During this discussion, you’ll discover:
-Why tiny houses are so popular among the youth…7:30
- Parents are not content with the big house
- Consciousness of the carbon footprint
- Less responsibility, more freedom to travel
- Paul’s book: Kinda Tiny Homes
-Paul’s history with psychedelics and Christianity…11:10
- Traditional upbringing; father a steady leader
- Began experimenting with drugs as a teenager (parents not drug abusers themselves)
- Lack of spiritual maturity as a teenager
- Fathered a child; stopped drug use when this happened
- Knew of Christ, but didn’t know Christ on a personal level
- Experienced trauma after a divorce; used mushrooms for relief
-Differences in the use of synthetic vs. natural substances…24:50
- Synthetic substances that affect mood, thoughts, etc. have a different effect than natural ones
- Possible use for sorcery
- Asking a blessing over a meal from a non-Christian perspective can be very different than a Christian perspective
- The intent and spirit of the creator of the substance may affect the quality or nature of the experience
- Romans 14:17 “The kingdom of God is not eating and drinking…”
- Matter of personal conviction and the response to it
- Awareness of the convictions of others too
- Disconnect between conventional biblical dogma and real-life practice (ex. sugar highs)
- Book: The Immortality Key by Brian Muraresku and Graham Hancock
- Book: Stealing Fire by Steven Kotler and Jamie Wheal
- Stealing Fire: BGF podcast with Steven Kotler and Jamie Wheal
-The use of psychedelics in the Bible and early church…41:00
-Balancing creation and the use of it via psychedelics…49:30
- All things were created for good; does not mean that they cannot be bastardized
-Are we entering the spiritual realm when we take psychedelics?…53:40
- Paul has had experiences when he knew he was in the spiritual realm
- Also knows when visions are simply his imagination
- The body can produce hallucinogenic effects even without the use of substances
- Entity outside of human consciousness or a product of human consciousness
- Playing with fire; take the use of substances very seriously (caution, preparation spiritually)
- Some may be harming by ingesting substances just as we have food intolerances and allergies
- If you don’t feel called, or feel insecure partaking, you shouldn’t
-Whether the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil is actually a modern psychedelic plant…1:08:40
- Adam and Eve became their own gods, rather than allowing God to be sovereign in their lives
- The same temptation is before us today
- Less about the actual fruit than about the result of it on the course of human history
-Why you need to just come to Jesus before anything else…1:19:15
Resources from this episode:
– Paul Risse:
– BGF podcasts and articles:
– Other resources:
–Kion Immune: Kion Immune is a blend of two of the most-studied, clinically-proven nutrients for immune health: Vitamin C and Zinc. It may sound simple, but the truth is these two nutrients are essential when it comes to the immune system functioning properly. BGF listeners, receive a 20% discount off your order when you use discount code BGF20.
–Organifi Green Juice: Now you can get all your healthy superfoods in one glass…with No Shopping, No Blending, No Juicing, and No Cleanup. Get a 20% discount on your entire order when you use discount code BENG20.
–Perfect Keto: Perfect Keto helps make a low-carb lifestyle easier with snacks and supplements formulated by Dr. Anthony Gustin, plus the best low-carb recipes and information. Get 20% off your order when you use discount code BGF.
–Vuori: Activewear and athletic clothing for ultimate performance. Vuori is built to move and sweat in, yet designed with a West Coast aesthetic that transitions effortlessly into everyday life. Receive 25% off your first order when you go to bengreenfieldfitness.com/vuori.