Drs. Matt Dawson and Mike Mallin are the head honcho docs at Wild Health, with locations in Versailles, KY, and Bend, OR. I first interviewed these guys in the episode “How To Use Precision Medicine To Enhance Athletic Performance, Defy Aging, Balance Hormones, Fix The Heart & Much More.” then again in “Why Your DNA Is Worthless (& What You Need To Focus On Instead)“.
In this episode, they’re back to talk all things brain optimization, brain biohacking, and a medical-based precision genomics approach to upgrading the brain.
Dr. Matt Dawson is a precision medicine physician in Lexington, KY, co-host of the Wild Health Podcast, and has been obsessed with performance optimization as long as he can remember. He received scholarships to play two sports in college even with “minimal talent” because of his voracious reading and implementation of any fitness or nutritional techniques that would give him an edge. Dr. Dawson continued that obsession in medical school, and as a physician, he has won national awards for education, innovation, and leadership. He has lectured in over 20 countries and trained thousands of other physicians through live lectures, online education, two textbooks, and an educational app. Dr. Dawson combines his training in genomics and functional medicine to give personalized, precise medical guidance. His obsession with performance optimization has morphed from, initially athletic, to now mental performance and longevity.
Whether you’re a professional athlete or a grandparent optimizing your mental clarity and mobility to keep up with your grandkids, Dr. Dawson is passionate about helping you perform at your absolute peak.
Dr. Mike Mallin is a physician in Bend, OR who is obsessed with health performance and precision medicine and is co-founder of the Wild Health Podcast. He completed medical school in South Carolina and trained in emergency medicine in Salt Lake City, UT, where he competed in several ultramarathons and found his love for the mountains and performance. Mike currently practices in Bend, OR, and Lexington, KY in his precision medicine clinics. He is also co-founder of the Ultrasound Podcast, an educational podcast that has taught thousands of physicians all over the world how to use ultrasound.
In this podcast, we discuss the September brain biohacking event coming up in Lexington, KY, September 26-28 (use code BEN to save 20%).
During this discussion, you’ll discover:
-Matt and Mike’s work on the frontlines of the COVID-19 pandemic…10:30
-Tests that determine cognitive function…19:10
- “No biohacking before the basics”
- DNA, genomics, etc. to get a full picture of the health
- Scoring system takes into account cardiovascular health, insulin resistance, inflammation, cancer risks, and other metrics
- You get to a certain point when you’re considered “optimized” and ready for more advanced brain tests
- Examine both genotype and phenotype
- APOe4 most associated with Alzheimer’s; many more SNPs associated with Alzheimer’s
- Don’t examine specific SNPs individually
- Tissue necrosis factor (TNF) + APOe4 gene elevates risk of Alzheimer’s by 6x
- TNF levels are determined by genetics
- Neurotransmitter balances are determined from a genetics standpoint
- KetoFlex 12/3 (The Bredesen Protocol) – thinking of Alzheimer’s as a metabolic disease
- Efficacy of ketones on the brain
- Insulin degrading enzyme and interleukin 1B correlate with insulin levels in response to ketones
- The wrong genes lead to a worsening of conditions when ingesting ketones
- Genomics as a predictive model
- CNS Vital Sign Test: attention, memory, processing speed, etc. to determine appropriate further tests
- CNS Tap test
- Brain HQ app
- N-Back training app
- DUTCH test
- Organic acids test (Organix® Dysbiosis Profile (Organic Acids)-Genova Kit)
-The link between immune function and the brain…39:00
-Recommended brain optimization modalities and strategies…43:30
-How to and how not to use plant medicines for cognitive function and brain health…57:15
-Peptides, ketamine, synthetic substitutes for plant medicines…1:04:20
-About the event being held at the Kentucky Castle this September…1:06:00
-And much more!
Resources from this episode:
– Wild Health:
– Podcasts and articles on peptides:
- The Peptides Podcast: Everything You Need To Know About Anti-Aging, Muscle Gain, Fat Loss & Recovery Peptides. – with Dr. Jean-François Tremblay
- Peptides Unveiled: The Best Peptide Stacks For Anti-Aging, Growth Hormone, Deep Sleep, Hair Loss, Enhanced Cognition & Much More! – with Dr. William Seeds and Jeremy Delk
- What You Didn’t Know About CBD & THC, Fixing Lyme Disease, The Full Body Blood Change Reboot, Peptides 101, Hyperthermia & Much More! – with Dr. Matt Cook
- How To Use Growth Hormone Stacks For A Better Body: Everything You Need To Know About IGF-LR3, GHRP, and GHRH Peptide Stacks.
- The Dark Side Of Peptides: Why You Need To Proceed With Caution When Using These Powerful But Potentially Carcinogenic Molecules.
- Demystifying Growth Hormone-Releasing Peptides – Everything You Need To Know About GH, Ipamorelin, Tesamorelin & More!
- How To Use BPC-157: A Complete Dummies Guide To Healing The Body Like Wolverine.
- How To Build New Blood Vessels, Regenerate Muscle Tissue Fibers, Increase New Cell Growth & More With Something Called “TB-500”.
– Other resources:
–Kion Cold Thermogenesis Challenge: If you’ve never tried cold showers or cold plunges, this is a great way to “dip your toes” into the practice of cold thermo with the support of thousands of others. The deadline to register is August 2nd, so act fast!
–Organifi Glow: A plant-based beverage that helps support the body’s natural ability to produce collagen, smooth fine lines and wrinkles, and protect the skin from sun exposure and toxins. Receive a 20% discount on your entire order when you use discount code: “BENG20”
–Perfect Keto: Perfect Keto helps make a low-carb lifestyle easier with snacks and supplements formulated by Dr. Anthony Gustin, plus the best low-carb recipes and information. For 20% off your order + free shipping, use discount code: BGF20
–Water and Wellness: The best solution for clean and safe drinking water. Water and Wellness also offers an amazing line of essential water additives such as Quinton Marine plasma which contain over 78 trace minerals and elements from the ocean to help restore your biological-terrain. Get 15% off your order when you use discount code: GREENFIELD