Share This Article
Cameron George, my guest on today’s podcast, is a researcher, writer, entrepreneur, and the founder of TRU KAVA, a company that is striving to set the industry standard for quality, safety, and education around kava within the mass market.
TRU KAVA is focused on developing scalable user-friendly products that deliver the full therapeutic action of the traditional kava drink, which is the only form that has been highly prized in South Pacific islands for over 3,000 years.
Since discovering the amazing effects of traditional kava during his own chronic illness, Cameron George spent many years investigating every aspect of kava and has collaborated with many of the most prominent experts in the world within the fields of kava research and historical kava use. The goal of this project was to provide the safest and most effective kava products on the market, as well as educate the public on the complex story surrounding kava, explaining some of the myths, the massive variation of quality on the market, and the many amazing benefits that kava can offer to the modern world when it’s used correctly in its traditional form. Cameron’s work is an initiative to educate on the clear distinction that the scientific literature and historical accounts have made between safe and questionable kava products, as well as to advocate for the use of only lab-tested safe kava varieties.
Kava is commonly known as “the great protector” because it is one of nature’s most profound and complete protective substances. This means that when humans consume kava, it helps both protect the body from stress and rid the body of all forms of built-up stress (physical, chemical, emotional). Most of kava’s many effects stem from this fundamental characteristic about kava and are part of this multifaceted protective process. These protective mechanisms include:
- GABA A receptor binding
- Calcium channel blocking
- Nrf2 upregulation
- COX (cyclooxygenase) inhibition
- AMPK activation
- MAO B inhibition
- Psychedelic properties (Very strong classic psychedelic medicines such as Psilocybin mushrooms, LSD and Ayahuasca have been used to induce highly creative introspective states of mind. These amazing, altered states have been shown to allow individuals to very effectively address and heal underlying past trauma in their lives and kava seems to have similar effects!). Kava is very well known historically for its very gentle entheogenic (psychedelic) effects that bring about creative and introspective thinking, thus making users more empathetic over time. Unlike other classic psychedelic compounds (such as psilocybin mushrooms, LSD, DMT, Ayahuasca, cannabis, etc.), kava has much more subtle psychedelic properties that don’t affect a person’s ability to function in everyday circumstances.
And a whole lot more!
Cameron’s formula, known as TRU KAVA, is a new patented form of traditional kava and is currently the only mass user-ready kava product on the market that has these subtle psychedelic effects on the mind. Additionally, absolutely no pesticides or industrial chemicals are used at any step of their process. Each batch of kava root is independently lab-tested to ensure that it meets all of the previously mentioned quality and safety standards. All of their products are refined and packaged in palatable forms, making them extremely versatile and easy for anyone to use.
In this discussion with Cameron George, you’ll discover:
-The benzodiazepine (benzo) epidemic, and the plant renaissance that is sweeping the land…09:15
- CBD, hemp, cannabis, etc. are the darlings of the industry
- Feel Free Wellness Tonic
- Psilocybin is moving toward legalization; ketamine and others
- Benzodiazepine epidemic on par with opioids
- Anything that ends with “am” is a benzodiazepine
- These are easy shortcuts to coping with the stresses of our era
- Withdrawal symptoms are so severe they can potentially cause death
-Cameron George and the personal slice of hell suffered at the hands of benzodiazepines…14:55
- Inspiration path vs. the desperation path; desperation often precipitates the journey which leads to inspiration
- Highly functional individual; prolific athlete
- The collapse of health which couldn’t be traced to a single diagnosis
- A psychiatrist prescribed a bunch of drugs which made things go from bad to worse to unspeakable
- Borrowing from tomorrow to pay for today
- Ace Ventura meets Breaking Bad living situation
- A blood-flow brain scan revealed levels of 80-year-olds with dementia
- This led to a deep dive into the realm of nutrition, microbiome health, gut health, etc.
-How he path of desperation leads to that of inspiration…24:50
- Dr. Dan Pompa: “Fix the cell to get well”
- Podcasts with Dr. Pompa:
- Sensitivity spectrum syndrome
- Develop nervous and immune system reactions as the body’s defense mechanism
- Cameron George had severe reactions to food, and even water
- Dr. Pompa encouraged him to fast for several days
- GABAnergic effect after taking benzos
- Ricochet effect; eventually, a drug loses its efficacy
-Why kava kava is not kava in its purest form…35:15
- Extraction and processing
- Plants are living organisms with thousands of functioning elements
- Some medicines extract better with solvents
- Kava loses 80-90% of the effects profile when extracted with solvents (as is kava kava)
-Concerns about the effects of kava on the liver…39:20
- Ignorance and misperception; context is key
- No reports of liver issues in 3,000 years of use in Fiji and Vanuatu
- All claims of liver toxicity quote the same source
- Pharma companies used parts of the kava plant that were more or less waste products to cut costs
- Roots are not exposed to the elements as are the aerial parts of the plant
- True kava is the root, not the aerial parts
- Liver damage occurs when the leaves of the plant are consumed rather than the root
- Real kava has been shown to actually improve the liver’s health
-The cultural significance of kava in the South Pacific…50:56
- The most sacred substance in Vanuatu
- Holds the social fabric together in those areas
- Vanuatu and Fiji has 20x more kava bars than alcohol bars
- Subtle psychedelic effects (sober psychedelic)
-Positive benefits of kava on the body and mind…54:35
- It has one of the largest bodies of research and literature
- Protective qualities
- Calm down cells and systems around them
- Hormetic effects on NRF2
- Metabolic effects; AMPK activator
- Potential positive effects on treating cancer
- Recipe for accelerating fat-burning and autophagy pathways
- Coffee (use code BEN10 to save 10%)
- Kava (use code BEN10 to save 10%)
- C8 (use code BEN to save 10%) or MCT oil
- Shot of ketone esters with kava and kratom for hyper-focused productivity
- GABA component; helps sleep architecture
- Improvements in deep and REM sleep
-Where Tru Kava is sourced…1:05:05
- Everything is grown in Vanuatu
- Organic, toxin-free, no pesticides, etc.
- Harvesting and drying methods that prevent mold
- Fresh kava is more potent than dried kava
- Working on food classification similar to coffee
-Why Ben and Cameron George are so excited about kava…1:10:15
- Greatest therapeutic effect to drawback ratio of any plant medicine
- Similar to a microdose without compromising faculties
- Alcohol without the drunkenness
- This Is Your Mind On Plants by Michael Pollan
- Shape new elements of the social fabric in the West
-How to obtain TRU KAVA for yourself…1:15:15
-And much more!
Resources mentioned in this episode:
– Other Resources:
–Thrive Market: Organic brands you love, for less. Your favorite organic food and products. Fast and free shipping to your doorstep. Receive a gift card worth up to $20 when you begin a new membership.
–Butcher Box: Delivers healthy 100% grass-fed and finished beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork directly to your door on a monthly basis. All their products are humanely raised and NEVER given antibiotics or hormones.
Got a question or comment for Cameron George or myself? Leave a comment below and one of us will reply!