Crispy paleo chicken nuggets recipe & photos by Jordan Pie
Chicken nuggets served at fast food chains are often made from processed and inflammatory ingredients such as factory-farmed chicken, wheat breading and other dubious ingredients, and then fried in vegetable oil. These healthy, paleo chicken nuggets tick all the right boxes — they’re gluten, grain, sugar and dairy free, paleo, whole30-approved, and made from real foods.
These chicken nuggets are shallow fried in a frying pan on the stove, which gets the crumb crispier than when baking them in the oven. They take just a couple of minutes on each side, so the process is quick and easy. They’re guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser!
Crispy Paleo Chicken Nuggets
Start to Finish: 25 minutes
- 4 organic, pasture-raised chicken thighs
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp dried herbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- Coconut oil or duck or animal fat for shallow frying
- Mix all the dry ingredients into a shallow bowl.
- Add the egg into another shallow bowl and whisk.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Slice the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Coat the chicken pieces in the egg wash and then coat them in the flour mix until they are evenly coated. Do this in batches. Note: you may need to wash your hands in between coating as it can build up on your fingers and get too clumpy.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium heat and add enough oil or fat for shallow frying.
- Once the oil/fat is heated, begin shallow frying the coated chicken pieces until they’re golden brown and crispy all over.
- Transfer to a paper towel lined dish to drain any of the excess oil.
Serves: 2 servings
Nutritional Information (per serving):
- Calories: 436
- Fat: 26.4g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 262mg
- Salt: 1384mg
- Carbs: 6.8g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Sugar: 0.7g
- Protein: 45.4g
- Vitamin D: 8mcg
- Net carbs: 5g
- Calcium: 90mg
- Iron: 4mg
- Potassium: 151mg
Join over 1 million fans
Sign-up for the Bulletproof mailing list and receive the latest news and updates!