March 25, 2023
Are you tired of feeling jittery, anxious, and restless after downing your third cup of coffee?
Enter paraxanthine – the “magical little molecule” that promises to take your energy and focus to the next level without any of the negative effects of caffeine.
Paraxanthine is like caffeine’s cool, collected cousin who shows up to the party and steals the show. It’s a natural metabolite of caffeine that’s been scientifically engineered to enhance your cognitive function and athletic performance without the pesky side effects that come with consuming too much caffeine.
And trust us, I’m not exaggerating when I say that paraxanthine is in a league of its own. My friend Shawn Wells, aka “The World’s Greatest Formulator,” introduced me to this game-changing ingredient, and I’ve been singing its praises ever since.
I interviewed Shawn on two previous podcast episodes:
Shawn Wells, MPH, LDN, RD, CISSN, FISSN is a leading nutritional biochemist and expert on health optimization. Now known as the Ingredientologist (the scientist of ingredients), he has formulated over 1,000 supplements, food, beverages, and cosmeceuticals and patented 25 novel ingredients. Formerly a Chief Clinical Dietitian with over a decade of clinical experience, Shawn has counseled thousands of people on natural health solutions such as keto, paleo, fasting, and supplements. He has also personally overcome various health issues, including Epstein-Barr Virus, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, depression, insomnia, obesity, and a pituitary tumor.
With appearances on national radio programs, morning television, and documentaries, Shawn’s expert insights have helped countless health-conscious individuals manage stress, boost their performance, and experience sustained energy through practical holistic solutions.
During our discussion, you’ll discover:
-Shawn & Daniel’s Update energy drink…05:30
- Like caffeine
- No crashes
- Better focus
- More confidence
- Doesn’t interrupt sleep
- Ben’s experience with paraxanthine
- Shawn Wells and Daniel Solomons
- Update Energy Drink (use code BEN to save 10%)
-What is paraxanthine?…09:58
- Main metabolite of caffeine
- Around 80% is paraxanthine
- Caffeine breaks into 3 metabolites
- Why hasn’t it been isolated earlier?
- Slow and fast caffeine metabolizers
- Many people need 3 days to eliminate caffeine from the system
- Caffeine is an insect repellent
- Paraxanthine doesn’t have the side effects of caffeine; the more you use it, the better it works
-The afterglow effect…19:11
- Ben’s experience with paraxanthine and sleeping
- No crash, afterglow effect
- No toxicity of the other coffee compounds
-The potentiation of nitric oxide transmission…21:50
- A link to increased dopamine release
- PDE (phosphodiesterase) compounds
- PDE-9 – greater nitric oxide release
- Dopamine increase
- All neurotransmitters potentially potentiated
- Currently exploring different dopaminergic impacts; similarities to psychedelics
- Impact on erectile dysfunction may be possible but not yet studied
- Research about paraxanthine and exercise performance
- No side effects compared to caffeine
- Improved endurance and resistance to fatigue
- Overall improved performance
– Is Enfinity the brand name for paraxanthine?…26:26
- Enfinity is the patented brand name
- Paraxanthine provides a very different experience than caffeine
- Paraxanthine capsules combined with coffee
- Like taking pure water and adding dirty water
- There are negative effects when the two compounds are taken together
-The background on Update…28:45
- Update Energy Drink (use code BEN to save 10%)
- Most energy drinks have always been caffeine plus sugar; not very desirable
- Daniel wanted to create an energy drink with nootropics
- Reached out to Shawn
- Wanted good taste, better performance, less side effects
- Only natural sweeteners
- Nootropics and large amounts of paraxanthine
- Flavors like Mandarin, Berry, Peach, Lime
- It took 2 years to create the flavors
- Nootropics are tough to work with flavor-wise
- Combination of allulose and stevia glycosides
- Allulose is non-glycemic sugar, very low caloric value
- Stevia – combination of different forms for better taste
- Stevia has 2 different forms with slightly different flavor profile
- Podcasts with Shawn Wells:
- The dark side of flavor science
-The components of Update…40:14
- 300 mg of paraxanthine
- Nootropics combined with paraxanthine
- Taurine (calming and neuroprotective effect)
- N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine(dopamine precursor)
- Alpha GPC (a precursor to acetylcholine for memory formation)
- L-Theanine (enhances alpha brain waves)
- 5-HTP (a precursor to serotonin)
- Vitamin B12 (Methylcobalamin)
-How can you take Update later in the day and still be able to sleep?…45:03
- Shorter half-life
- No toxic compounds
- Beneficial “side-effects” (nitric oxide, BDNF, etc.)
-What’s the best time to consume Update?…47:08
-What is in the packaging/cans?…48:01
- Standard can, the safest cans on the market
-Biohacking with Daniel and Shawn…49:40
-And much more…
- Health Optimisation Summit: June 17th – 18th, 2023
Don’t miss the opportunity to join me at The Health Optimisation Summit in London! This is your chance to be part of a community of 2,500 like-minded people and learn from world-leading health speakers. You’ll be able to fast-track your health journey, discover cutting-edge secrets and hacks, explore the latest tech and gadgets, and find the cleanest and healthiest supplements and nutrient-dense foods. Don’t miss out on this incredible experience! Learn more here.
Click here for the full written transcript of this podcast episode.
Resources from this episode:
– Daniel Solomons and Shawn Wells:
– Other Resources:
Naboso: Naboso features sensory-based product lines, created for athletes, fitness enthusiasts, and biohackers as a way to optimize their foot health and foot recovery. Better movement begins now. Visit naboso.com/ben and use code BEN for 10% off.
Mitozen: Whether you are seeking enhancement with anti-aging, inflammation, or sleep, Mitozen’s focus on antioxidants, melatonin, glutathione, CBD, plant terpenes, probiotics, and plant polyphenols will undoubtedly cause a ripple effect in your health journey. To try Mitozen’s wide range of cutting-edge products head on over to mitozen.com/ben and use code BEN for 5% off.
Lucy Gum: If you are looking for a cleaner and tastier alternative to other nicotine products, Lucy is for you. To save 20% on any order, head over to lucy.co use discount code BEN20.
Organifi: Get the restful sleep you need with the most soothing ingredients! Gold is a delicious superfood tea with powerful superfoods and mushrooms to help you sleep and recover so you can wake up refreshed and energized. Go to Organifi.com/Ben for 20% off your order.
Boundless Parenting Book: Everything you need to know about family, parenting, and raising healthy, resilient, free-thinking, and impactful children. Go to boundlessparentingbook.com and claim your copy now.