In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, Dr. Jolene Brighten returns to the show with more wisdom and honest talk about hormones. As an international speaker, clinical educator and medical advisor within the tech community, she’s considered a leading authority on women’s health.
She’s a prominent voice in the field of women’s medicine and the emerging science of Post-Birth Control Syndrome. As a Functional Naturopathic medical doctor and nutritional biochemist, she concentrates her efforts on the effects of hormonal birth control on female health. She works to uncover the root cause of hormonal imbalances.
“We can acknowledge that all medical interventions have risks and that all forms of hormones that you are on internally making and also exogenous also have side effects,” says Dr. Brighten, “They can be out of balance, they can be used in the wrong way. Your genetics can come into play with all of this.”
When she was on the show for episode #617, we talked about her new book “Beyond the Pill: A 30-Day Program to Balance Your Hormones, Reclaim Your Body, and Reverse the Dangerous Side Effects of the Birth Control Pill” and how to have way better sex without it—among other things. Before that, we looked at how women’s hormones affect their bodies and brains at different ages and stages of life in episode #415.
This time—we’re heading right into hormonal superpowers and why women are stronger in every way when their hormones are working in sync with their natural rhythms. When hormones—and even the immediate environment—are not aligned, gut health, brain health and virtually every body system is affected.
“When I talk about your hormones giving you superpowers,” says Dr. Brighten, “it’s understanding how to leverage their strengths throughout your menstrual cycle.”
She offers up knowledge and real solutions so you can manage your hormones at any age in ways that are as individual as you are.
(And for our guys listening who want to understand how hormones affect the women in their life, this information is for you, too.)
Enjoy the show!
Follow Along with the Transcript
Book: Beyond the Pill: A 30-Day Program to Balance Your Hormones, Reclaim Your Body, and Reverse the Dangerous Side Effects of the Birth Control Pill drbrighten.com/beyond-the-pill/
Book Bonuses: beyondthepillbook.com
Free E-Book: Brighten’s Post-Birth Control Syndrome Detox Diet Quick Start Guide drbrighten.com/pbcsdiet/
Way Better Sex Without The Pill – Dr. Jolene Brighten – #617
Dave Asprey Blog
What Is Post Birth Control Syndrome And Do You Have It?
- Hormones that I am on right now – 5:10
- Your shamed either way in woman’s medicine – 6:18
- Women are disproportionately affected by Alzheimer’s disease – 9:16
- Night shift workers get cancer at a higher risk – 11:40
- Historically speaking, we weren’t living this long and now we are – 12:55
- There are lifestyle practices that we can use to hack our hormones – 15:10
- A lot of people are walking around not understanding their bodies – 17:40
- What are the specific hormone superpowers that you talk about? – 18:59
- We can actually gain more muscle mass in that follicular phase – 20:53
- Bottom line is attention is a currency – 23:50
- Mother nature is really smart – 26:57
- Gut health and liver health, everything to do with hormones – 28:27
- Calcium D-glucarate. This is a supplement that everyone should know about – 31:04
- How does a woman know when to take progesterone – 34:06
- I listened to this podcast and I think it might be helpful for you – 40:48
- U-shaped dose response curve – 45:37
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/apple and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.