Share This Article
The “Kentucky Castle” is a unique destination hotspot with a full biohacking facility, sauna, farm-to-table restaurant, precision medicine arm, hemp farm, horse facilities, and much more. It is owned by one of the physicians who hosts the “Wild Health” podcast, on which I was recently a guest.
Recently, at the castle, I had the pleasure of giving a talk on how to hack your biology and get the most out of the genetics you were born with.
Afterward, I took part in a Q&A with several of the physicians in attendance at the conference. On today’s podcast, part two of this two-part series (click here to listen to part one), you’ll get to sit in on this very interesting discussion. Enjoy!
Questions and topics covered in the session…
-Follow-up questions for Ben from his presentation…6:48
- Q: What do you think of using the ChiliPad long term, particularly as it pertains to EMF and dirty electricity?
- Q: Do you think Great Plains Lab’s test for mycotoxins is not valid?
- Q: You said a score of 3.8 for the TSH is good but not optimal. How do you figure out what your optimal levels should be?
- Q: Is it true that if you take colostrum on an empty stomach, it won’t raise your insulin-like growth factor (IGF)?
- A: I’ve never heard that. Colostrum is an anabolic.
-What is the ideal estradiol post-menopause?…12:45
-How does a sense of spirituality and spiritual practice play into one’s health and wellness?…16:12
- Changes epigenetic expression, improves sleep cycles
- Gratitude changes level of empathy toward others
- Blue zones have strong beliefs in a higher power, meditation, etc.
- Medical students are not trained in the efficacy of spirituality
- Physicians “curse” patients; “so much time left to live”
-How would you increase free testosterone naturally?…19:19
- Avoid heavy amounts of intense exercise (HIIT)
- Prioritize sexual experience; send body the signal you’re maintaining fertility
- Decrease insulin resistance; increase healthy fatty acids
- JOOVV light
- Get adequate rest
- Stress management
- Primal Jet Pack
-How does ashwagandha play a role in cortisol and other adaptogens?…26:30
-How long would a dietary change take to see a change in the Omega 3 Index?…28:25
-What CGM (continuous glucose monitor) devices do you recommend?…32:05
-When is it optimal to test IGF-1?…35:40
-Should a microbiome be tested a certain time of day, fasted or unfasted, etc.?…36:30
-Is it true that it is difficult to test for parasites because the parasite releases an enzyme when the stool hits the air?…39:30
-What are the key factors to getting quality deep sleep?…41:40
-Are people who follow a low-carb or ketogenic diet low in magnesium?…45:30
-For Ben: How are you dealing with your high cortisol metabolism?…48:56
- “I haven’t followed a strict ketogenic diet for years.”
- Carb refeed at the end of the day
-Is a colonoscopy an effective means of “resetting” the microbiome?…50:45
-How do you treat someone with a common cold? If it develops into an infection, how do you naturally heal it sans antibiotics?…52:36
-Under what circumstances should one seek an antibiotic, even if they are determined not to use antibiotics?…1:00:00
-How to deal with fainting episodes related to stress?…1:02:25
-What about things like sauerkraut and kombucha in promoting microbiome health?…1:03:45
- Sauerkraut is good; approach kombucha with caution
-Thoughts on a 5-day fasting mimicking diet vs. a 3-day water fast?…1:07:10
- Solid science behind the fasting mimicking diet
- Fasting mimicking diet is more realistic in its feasibility (water fast is very difficult)
-For Ben: Are you still doing the NAD injection that burns for 15 minutes?…1:09:32
-How can you deal with exercise-induced hypoglycemia when you’re not diabetic?…1:12:15
-How do you mitigate the effects of a bad night of sleep?…1:14:30
-And much more…
Resources from this episode:
–JOOVV light (use code: BEN for a free gift at checkout)
–My podcast on Building Biology
–Dirty electricity filters
-Book: Estrogen Matters
–Primal Jet Pack
–Four Sigmatic (Receive a 15% discount using code: BENGREENFIELD)
-Article: Deep Sleep Decoded: Everything You Need To Know To Increase Your Deep Sleep Percentages
-Books by Dr. Shawn Talbott
–Cod liver oil
-Podcast: 32 Ways to Stimulate Your Vagus Nerve, Fine-Tune Your Nervous System & Self-Hack Your Hormones
–Dexcom G6 glucose monitor
–Kion: My personal playground for new supplement formulations. Attention Ben Greenfield Fitness listeners: receive a 10% discount off your entire order when you use discount code: BGF10.
–Organifi Red Juice: Enjoy all the benefits of the 11 superfoods and their micronutrients that help increase resting metabolism, support cardiovascular health, and remove toxins to turn back the hands of time! Receive a 20% discount on your entire order when you use discount code: BENG20
–Four Sigmatic: I’ve been using Four Sigmatic products for a while now and I’m impressed by the efficacies of their mushroom products. I use them. I like them. I support the mission! Receive 15% off your Four Sigmatic purchase when you use discount code: BENGREENFIELD