Sit back and prepare for a wild ride, because it’s finally here: The official, fully updated, EMF-shielding “building biology” analysis of my biohacked home in the forest.
Are your sleep-enhancing devices potentially hurting your brain and sleep patterns due to the dirty electricity they emit during a night of sleep?
Is a “low-EMF” office really low EMF?
Do “healthy” saunas produce EMFs or dirty electricity?
Is it OK to use popular grounding or earthing devices?
Do any of those fancy EMF personal protection devices actually work?
How big a deal are cell phone towers or 5G panels, even if you don’t live directly nearby one?
We’ll tackle these questions and plenty more as you get to listen in (and watch, using the video here on this page) during an entire building biology analysis of the Greenfield home.
My guest on today’s show, Brian Hoyer, first joined me on the show “The Intriguing Science Of Building Biology (Along With A Complete Analysis & Surprising Results From Ben Greenfield’s So-Called “Biohacked Home”)”.
Brian’s dive into health started when he became a father wanting to provide the most optimal growing environment for his family. His desire for them to thrive—and his devotion to discover the truth—drove him to find the most insightful and effective cutting-edge methods for addressing what’s really going on in our bodies and environments. This led Brian to become a functional nutritional therapy practitioner, train with The Klinghardt Academy, and become a certified geobiologist trained by a pioneering naturopathic and environmental medicine clinic in Austria that’s been addressing EMFs and geopathic stress since 1983.
Brian and his wife, Lindsey, built an EMF shielded tiny house in the summer of 2017. Brian travels all over the country doing EMF assessments, speaking at conferences and on podcasts, and helping families install shielding solutions. After testing many homes for EMF around the country Brian founded Shielded Healing in 2017 with the goal of helping modern humanity recreate electromagnetic environments that more closely mimic our historic human habitats.
According to Brian, EMF testing and mitigation has been stuck in the same pattern for 20-30 years. The last 10-15 years professionals all around the world have been recommending the same solutions even as our exposure has increased 500-1000 times or more. The same fabrics, the same meters, the same recommendations, and saying pretty much the same things, despite the drastic increase in exposures and chronic illness.
Here’s the entire video of Brian’s walkthrough of my home:
Here’s what you’ll hear in the podcast:
-The difference between a “building biologist” and an EMF shielding expert…7:00
- Brian began as a health practitioner
- A biohacking way to fix:
- The house
- The person
- Earth frequencies from external stimuli (cell towers and the like)
- Book: Healing is Voltage by Jerry Tennant
- Book: The Body Electric by Robert Becker
- Brian’s first podcast with Ben covered the basics: Building biology, WiFi routers, cell towers, smartphones near the head, etc.
-The protocol Brian follows when evaluating a home or office…11:00
- 6 basic stressors explored and measured:
- Magnetic fields – Tests on devices with motors running (refrigerators, induction stoves, etc.), unbalanced current in the wires, outside power lines near big substations with transformers. Test using the NFA-1000 Gauss meter. The ESI-24 ($300) could also be used (use code BEN5 to save 5%)
- Electric fields – Test the body’s current, dirty electricity that’s on the ground using the ESI-24
- Dirty electricity – Test the lines for thousands of different frequencies that are riding on the 60Hz electrical system; (spikes, surges, etc.)
- Wireless frequencies – Test using the Spectran V5 and the ESI-24 (wifi routers, cellphones, cell phone towers, etc.)
- Artificial light – Test flicker and spectrum of the light, match the indoor environment to the outdoor environment
- Geopathic stress – Naturopathic/homeopathic term for the energy coming out of the earth; scientific term is Telluric current
- Difference between electric and magnetic fields: Electric fields travel along anything conductive; magnetic can travel through anything
- Pulsing electric or magnetic fields are the concern; they are not found in nature
- Pulsing causes the cells to “jostle” in several different directions at once; affects the mitochondria
- Magnetism affects almost every mineral in some way
- Electro-hypersensitivity in people with metal overload, mold, mycotoxins, biofilm, poor methylation
- EMF frequencies are not modulated to be healing frequencies
- Robert O. Becker research on PEMF, electromagnetism, electric current, etc.
- How the fields can be used in beneficial ways therapeutically, and have an effect biologically on the tissue
- Issue between a cellphone and a PEMF device: cellphones are not modulated in a way to be healing frequency or any kind of healing therapy
- Faraday bags available on Amazon
- Defender Shield smartphone case (use code BEN20 to save 20%)
- Open Signal app tests the connection speed of mobile phone and wifi signals
- iPhone to ethernet cables
-Living Room and Kitchen…31:45
- Starting with the magnetic field, wiring issues can be discovered right away
- Living room measured 0.35mG (daytime – 0.5mG or lower)
- Bedroom 0.3mG or lower
- Brian’s tests – making the invisible visible, and the inaudible audible
- Light Rhythms Concerto EMF protection device
- Testing the body’s micro-voltage for radiofrequency radiation
- Acceptable measurement:
- Under 1000μV in daytime areas (it was over 10,000μV with the cell phone turned on)
- Under 100μV in nighttime areas
- 2 lav mics and a cell phone maxed out the measuring device
- Acceptable measurement:
- Devices that claim to block or cancel EMF often do not offer much protection (read the fine print)
- Book: The Biology of Belief by Bruce Lipton
- Double-blind placebo effect
- Engaging in behavior you know is unhealthy can be more harmful than blissful ignorance (psychological stress)
- Set up a protocol, act on it, then stop stressing out about it; you can’t fix everything at once
- BGF podcast with Joe Mercola on EMFs
- Carb mitigation
- Ketone bodies having protective effects on some of the inflammatory pathways
- High magnesium (use code GREENFIELD10 to save $10)/mineral (use code GREENFIELD10 to save 10%) intake has a positive effect on some of the deleterious effects on calcium channel influx
- Diet rich in sirtuins
- Supplementing with NAD protecting against ionizing radiation damage
- Real-time radio frequency spectrum analyzer
- FM radio frequencies resonate with human body more than other frequencies
- Book: The Invisible Rainbow by Arthur Firstenberg
- Correlation between EMF exposure to diseases
- “Perfect storm for chronic illness”
- The body can act as an antenna for cell phones, TV’s, etc.
- EMF-blocking underwear may conduct EMF if in a high-density EMF area (use code BEN to save 20%)
- Get an EMF meter, know what’s going on in the environment (use code BEN5 to save 5%)
- Book: Electromagnetic Field Measurements in the Near Field by Hubert Trzaska
- Wired keyboards, trackpads, etc.
- Make sure the computer is grounded (third prong)
- Grounded charging cable and charger
- Use a wired mouse rather than wireless
- Himalayan salt lamp
- Things running during the night to test:
- Measurements with all devices running:
- Electric field at 1200mV
- Slightly elevated magnetic field but not necessarily a concern
- Some voltage coming from the diffuser; a battery-powered diffuser would be way better
- BluShield actually producing more EMF than it is blocking
- chiliPAD controller should not be under the bed
- Belkin grounded power strips are good
- Bluetooth of the Molekule air filter should be disabled (use code BEN to save 10%)
- To accurately test, the Dreem should be worn while inside Dr. Mercola’s Silvershield EMF shielding tent; as it is, the Dreem is emitting flicker (100Hz)
- Studies show that flickering light can be beneficial with PBM at specific frequencies
- A grounding mat under the bed can be problematic if the rest of the room is not properly protected
-Smart Meter and Solar Panels…2:13:30
- Smart meters operate around 900 MHz; can go as high as 2.4 GHz
- Magnetic field reading of 20~30mG
- Shielded Healing power conditioner
- Power Perfect dirty electricity filter near the solar storage battery
- Switched on: less than 40mV, switched off: 190mV
-Testing Wearables In the Faraday Tent…2:21:30
- PEMF Chair measurements:
- 0.4mV and 29μA
- On PEMF device: 7.8pps(Hz) and 103mG; reading on Brian’s meters: 16.7Hz
- Body current: 26μA at 44kHz (device is producing dirty electricity)
- Dirty electricity filter cut the dirty electricity in half
- Some ground current is measured from the difference between foundation ground and house-ground potential
- BioCharger has more or less similar frequency to the infrared sauna
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) chamber (use code BEN to save $500)
- With device off: electric field at 2000μV
- Desk space
- Ultimate Longevity grounding mat and Ultimate Longevity grounding patches
- Plugged in: 130mV, 7μA (dirty ground)
- Patches unplugged: 400mV
- Unplugged: 93mV
- Grounding mat increases body voltage
- Not grounded at all: 1900mV, body current not changed much
- NanoVi running: 4.8V, body with 1.3V
- Micro amps measure dirty ground
- Patches help drop the body voltage
- Replace power cords with E-shielded power cords
- Ultimate Longevity grounding mat and Ultimate Longevity grounding patches
- Testing continuity or resistance of Ben’s skin: 0.6MΩ
- House grounding versus outside grounding: outside has lower voltage potential
- 380mV, 3.8μA, DC voltage and current: 860mV, 8.0μA
- Grounding via mat and patch is counterproductive
- It is always recommended to ground everything at one point/location. Different locations have different voltages.
- Eizo Flex Monitor with Iris Blue Light Blocking Software
- Monitor flicker: 200Hz with the lights off
- Flicker is less with the lights on (incandescent bulb lights are filling in the gaps of the flicker)
- Brian uses and recommends ASUS Eye Care Monitors or Acer VisionCare Monitors
- Blood Glucose Monitor
- Morozko Forge (use code BENFORGE to save $150)
- There is some electrical current in the water; 0V on the tank and in the water
- 7.8μA DC current near the Forge
- Good grounding in the water
- On the grounds: from the house ground to the outside ground current
- Book: Dirty Electricity by Sam Milham, epidemiologist on dirty electricity and all things EMF
Resources from this episode:
– Brian Hoyer:
– BGF Podcasts:
– Gear and equipment:
– Other resources:
–Kion Coffee: Carefully selected and roasted for taste, purity, high antioxidants, and health. BGF listeners receive a 20% discount when you use discount code BGF20.
–Organifi Green Juice: Now you can get all your healthy superfoods in one glass…with No Shopping, No Blending, No Juicing, and No Cleanup. Get a 20% discount on your entire order when you use discount code BENG20.
–Beekeeper’s Naturals: A wellness company specializing in innovative nutraceuticals made from healing hive compounds and plant-based ingredients. Get 15% off your order when you use discount code BEN.
–Public Goods: The one-stop-shop for affordable, sustainable, healthy, household products — from home and personal care to premium pantry staples — all in one place. BGF listeners, get $15 off your first order, with no minimum purchase when you use discount code BEN.