Recipe provided by Grass Roots Farmers’ Cooperative
Start your day off right with this delicious mesquite lime sausage breakfast hash. Sweet potatoes are loaded with fiber while red peppers pack a vitamin C-punch. The protein and good fats from the eggs and sausage will give you sustained energy all morning long, minus the blood sugar crash.
This savory, zingy dish comes to you in partnership with Grass Roots Farmers Cooperative, which delivers grass-fed, pastured meat right to your door.
Mesquite Lime Sausage Breakfast Hash
Start to Finish: 28 minutes
- 1 package of Grass Roots Farmers’ Pork Mesquite Lime Sausage
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped (Japanese purple sweet potatoes are a good option)
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 large parsnips, chopped
- 1 medium sized yellow onion, diced
- 4 organic pasture-raised eggs
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Lime wedges for serving
- The mesquite lime sausage comes in casings so you’ll want to remove the sausage from them before you start. Use a knife to cut the casing open then remove the sausage (see photo above) and place in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a large pan on medium heat. Add sausage and break apart with a spatula. Cook for about 8-10 minutes stirring frequently, until sausage is cooked through and brown and crispy on the outside. Keep some of the oil in the pan.
- Use the same pan over medium heat to cook the sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and onion. Start with the onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the sweet potato, carrots, and parsnips. Season with salt and cook for about 12-15 minutes, until vegetables are softened.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add the sausage back to the pan and combine with the veggies. Cook for about 2 minutes more to heat up the sausage.
- While the hash is cooking, prepare 1 egg per person. I made mine sunny side up, but you could do a fried egg. Place about 1/4 of the hash on a plate and top with an egg, cilantro, and a lime wedge. Enjoy!
Serves: 4 servings
Nutritional Information (per serving):
- Saturated Fat: 3.8g
- Salt: 302mg
- Carbs: 21.8g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Sugar: 7.8g
- Net Carbs: 17.2g
- Protein: 12.5g
- Vitamin D: 15mcg
- Calcium: 59mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Potassium: 6345mg
Join over 1 million fans
Sign-up for the Bulletproof mailing list and receive the latest news and updates!