Naveen Jain is an entrepreneur and philanthropist who is driven to solve the world’s biggest challenges through innovation. A man who knows no limits, Naveen pushes big dreams into action—spurring massive cultural and technological change. His audacious vision and magnetic personality continually inspires others to follow what feels impossible.
The founder of Moon Express, World Innovation Institute, iNome, TalentWise, Intelius, and Infospace, Naveen sees beyond the current business and technological landscape, creating companies that make a true impact.
Ernst and Young’s Entrepreneur of the Year, Silicon India’s “Most Admired Serial Entrepreneur,” and the receiver of the “Albert Einstein Technology Medal” for his pioneers in technology, Naveen has been repeatedly honored for his entrepreneurial successes. Red Herring also recognized him as one of the “Top 20 Serial Entrepreneurs” and with the “Lifetime Achievement Award.”
Naveen Jain’s next endeavor is to travel to the moon, using lunar resources for innovation here on earth.
Whether it’s business or life, Naveen is guided by one firm belief – our only limit is our imagination.
In my first episode with Naveen, “Age Reversing Via The Gut, The Ultimate Anti-Anxiety Pill, Customized Probiotics & More With Billionaire Entrepreneur & Viome Founder Naveen Jain.”, we discussed:
- Why Naveen thinks most microbiome evaluations are complete snake oil…
- How Naveen licensed $21 million gut sequencing technology from Los Alamos laboratory…
- Naveen’s shocking prediction about the next big thing in health care…
- And much more…
Then, in my second episode with Naveen, Poop, Bacteria & You: The Latest Cutting-Edge Science Of The Human Microbiome (& How To Affordably Test Your Own Gut)., we discussed:
- Whether or not human microbiomes “evolve” with changing technology and civilization trends such as the industrial revolution…
- How Viome can use a single stool sample to determine the overall health of your gut…
- How you know whether the disease is causing the microbiome to be deleteriously affected, or whether a poor microbiome is causing the disease…
- And much more…
(You may also be interested in watching or hearing Dr. Ally Perlina, Viome’s chief science officer, go over the results of my own microbiome analysis.)
In this podcast, Naveen travels to my home in Spokane, Washington and we chat about the latest in longevity, life, and the latest innovations in fitness, mental health, and immunity—plus the latest on mitochondria, biological aging, and cellular health.
During this discussion, you’ll discover:
-Naveen’s observations of Ben’s daily life in Spokane, WA…6:35
- Dedication to family
- Positive outlook on life
- Role model to many, but also to the boys and wife
- Love for nature and for God
- Lightbulb moment – “You’re not raising your children, you’re raising your grandchildren”
- Establishing traditions that will last for generations
-The proper role of the elderly in society…12:20
- Important to pass the wisdom from the elderly on to our children and grandchildren
- You’re a pariah in Eastern culture if you dishonor your parents or grandparents
- BGF podcast with Marisa Peer
- Book: You Can be Younger by Marisa Peer
- Post-menopausal women live longer when given a matriarchal role
- We’re all connected in a larger ecosystem
- The “love bucket” is never-ending
-The big questions that propel Naveen’s quest for knowledge…19:30
- “Why me?” and “Why now?”
- We are not genetically predisposed to chronic disease
- Excessive focus on genetics (genes don’t change, the expression does)
- Digitizing the human body: chemical signals transmitted through the brain and body
- Change biochemical activity via diet and lifestyle to attain desired objective
- What if? – The key to starting anything in life; Do not worry about the “How?”
- Too much faith in testing; we all have different genes
- Personalization and precision in testing genes, the microbiome, etc.
- Tech is more accessible and affordable than ever before
- AI can interpret data that wasn’t possible even 10 years ago
- “What is it I believe that most people disagree on?”
- Not the right answer, but the right question
-How the gut microbiome affects the chemical signaling in our bodies…34:00
- Over 40 trillion cells in our body, generating chemicals we ignore while focused on DNA and genes
- “Micro poops” signal to the human body what to do
- 90% of serotonin produced in the gut (by your own epithelial cells, waiting on signaling from the bacteria in your body)
- Worry more about what organisms in your gut are doing, rather than what organisms are in the gut
- More diversity of microorganisms in the mouth than in the gut (less than 1% in quantity but diversity is higher)
- Benefits of chewing food adequately and in a relaxed state
- Sends signals to the gut on what’s to come
- Symmetrical issues if not adequate, or food too soft
- Alzheimer’s may be traced to leaky gut syndrome
- Clean the mouth, not merely brush the teeth
- BGF podcast with Dr. Dominic Nischwitz
- Ben’s oil pulling mouthwash kills opportunistic bateria: pour ingredients into a mold and put into refrigerator;
- Oil pulling recipe:
- Copper tongue scraper
- Ayurvedic flossing tools using neem tree twigs
-The foundation of an integrative understanding of the gut…44:45
- Gut-brain, gut-liver, gut-mouth axis
- Viome Gut Intelligence Test (use code GREENFIELD to save $10)
- Health Intelligence (understand how the human cells are impacted by the gut)
- Blood tests are scalable and affordable; goal is to make cellular tests the same
- Viome Health Intelligence Test
- Look at every gene expression in the blood
- RNA test
- Fasted exercise induces AMP-K (cellular stress)
- AMP-K significantly increases PGC1-α, the master regulator for mitochondrial biogenesis
- Metformin, berberine, etc. induce xenohormetic stress (exercise in a bottle)
- Cellular senescence results in excess aging and inflammation
- Docs who administer NAD utilize anti-senescent cell compounds
-A method of testing that is truly personalized to the individual…56:15
- Testing multiple pathways leads to more educated decisions on nutrients, supplements, etc.; quantity of said compounds
- Health Intelligence does 2 things: gut microbiome test and blood test combined
- To be launched soon: Whole-body Intelligence – saliva, stool, blood
- True personalization vs. categorization
- Demographics (gender, race, etc. are categories)
- Look at an individual at the molecular level
- Precision supplements, nutrients, etc.
- A solution made to order for each individual based on molecular testing
- AI and robotics drive production costs down
- Whole foods vs. supplementation:
- Supplements are not an alternative to whole foods
- Eat the right food, avoid the bad food; supplement to fill in the gaps
- Health Intelligence tells you what foods to eat and why; what foods to avoid and why; and then the additional nutrients
- Precision supplements – One nutrient found in a food may be given, but not the entire food; some other nutrient in the food may not be good for an individual (You have to eat ≈20lbs of blueberries to get the same amount of nutrients you get from a 12mg capsule)
-The “flywheel” concept in running a business…1:03:20
- Product constantly changing and evolving
- The value always increasing with each client or product sold
- Every person part of the ecosystem making everyone else better, before and in the future
- “How am I making this customer a better person with each transaction?”
- Technology itself cannot solve the problem of learning
- Collecting data, customizing the experience, use AI to constantly improve the experience
- “Moonshot thinking” (why now, why me?) – outside the box thinking
- Tim Ferris: “What could go wrong with this decision?”
- Create scenarios that seem silly; may lead to a viable solution
- Create a team to do the things you can’t do, or don’t know
- Never ask, “Is this possible?” Say, “Make this possible…”
- An entrepreneur is someone who solves a problem, not necessarily a business owner, CEO, etc.
-The case for space exploration in the midst of a slew of problems here on Earth…1:16:30
- Scarcity mindset: If I do this, I can’t do that. Should be: If I can do this, I can also do that
- Planet Earth is a spacecraft; alternate home if it gets damaged
- The planet will be fine; worry about the human species
- Ben’s essay: “Our Father’s World“
-Recommended resources to think like a billionaire…1:20:40
- Read one book, the author’s view becomes your view; read 10 books, there are 11 views: the ten authors’ +yours
- Just because it’s written or published doesn’t make it true
- Read that which is tangential; the solution to a problem often lies in a different field or industry
- Singularity University
- TED Talks
- Castbox (searches audio itself for keywords)
- Ben’s tea recipe:
- The 6 things you get when you do the Health Intelligence Test:
- Gut health score
- Mitochondrial health score
- Cellular stress
- Immune system health
- Stress response health
- Biological age
-The most remarkable thing Naveen has done for his health in the past year…1:32:00
- Changed diet significantly (there’s no such thing as a healthy or worst food; it all depends on the individual)
- Sometimes, nutrients in food are not enough so supplementing is required
- Do something interesting every day:
- Gratitude journaling and feeling that you are learning new things everyday
- Am I intellectually better today than yesterday? Am I emotionally better today than yesterday? Am I spiritually better today than yesterday?
- The day you stop growing, the day you stop learning, is the day you actually die
- Why not? What if? Why can’t it be done? Imagine!
- Live the life!
- Ben’s re-write of the Christian Gratitude Journal, The Spiritual Disciplines Journal, involves 4 different practices
- In the morning:
- What you are grateful for?
- Write down one person you can help or serve that day
- In the evening:
- Self-examination – What good have I done this day? What could I have done better this day?
- How did I best live out my life’s purpose this day?
- The journal encompasses multiple variants of Spiritual Disciplines practices
- In the morning:
-And much more!
Click here for the full written transcript of this podcast episode.
Resources from this episode:
– Naveen Jain:
– BGF podcasts:
– Book: You Can be Younger by Marisa Peer
– Other resources:
–Kion Colostrum: Nature’s “first food” that supports immunity, GI function, athletic recovery, and more. BGF listeners, receive a 20% discount off your entire order at Kion when you use discount code BGF20.
–Joovv: After using the Joovv for close to 2 years, it’s the only light therapy device I’d ever recommend. Give it a try: you won’t be disappointed. Order your Joovv today and receive my brand new book, Boundless as a free gift.
–Thrive Market: Organic brands you love, for less. Your favorite organic food and products. Fast and free shipping to your doorstep. Receive a gift card worth up to $20 when you begin a new membership.
–Butcher Box: Delivers healthy 100% grass-fed and finished beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork directly to your door on a monthly basis. All their products are humanely raised and NEVER given antibiotics or hormones.
Do you have questions, thoughts, or feedback for Naveen or me? Leave your comments below and one of us will reply!