The popular website Vice published a controversial article last week entitled “The Most Overhyped Wellness Promises, Debunked.” Chock full of skepticism about keto, colonics, charcoal, and more, the article created plenty of buzz—both good and bad—across the internet…
…and in today’s podcast, I’m going to address the Vice article in full, including debunking plenty of the BS that was in the article, presenting research-based facts about so-called wellness myths (including a few that will surprise, such as the truth about charcoal toothpaste and sea salt), and set the good folks at Vice right.
Enjoy, and be sure to leave your own comments and feedback in the comments section below.
In this solosode, I’ll break down the “myths” discussed in the article one by one…
-Myth #1: Is pink Himalayan salt more nutritious than regular table salt?…9:47
-Myth #2: Lectins are not bad for you…15:00
-Myth #3: Probiotics can’t boost your mood, immune system or overall wellness…17:48
-Myth #4: Kombucha isn’t making you any healthier…19:40
- 8 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Kombucha Tea
- Has all the health benefits of tea: polyphenols, cholesterol reduction, etc.
- 4 studies show kombucha reduces liver toxicity in rodent models by up to 70%
- Acetic acid can kill off harmful bacteria in the gut
- Watch out for residual sugars
- Blood sugar controlling properties
-Myth #5: “Natural sugars” like agave syrup and coconut sugar aren’t any better for you than the refined white stuff…22:57
-Myth #6: Antiperspirant does not cause breast cancer…25:40
-Myth #7: “Alkalizing” your body with alkaline water (or anything else) is not a thing…28:30
-Myth #8: Apple cider vinegar is good for salads…31:51
-Myth #9: You don’t need to detox with a juice cleanse…
-Myth #10: Activated charcoal is only helpful if you’re in the ER and need your stomach pumped…42:28
-Myth #11: Charcoal toothpaste doesn’t strengthen your teeth…45:50
-Myth #12: The ketogenic diet isn’t a magical weight-loss trick…47:40
-Myth #13: Lemon water will not boost your metabolism…51:59
-Myth #14: Dark chocolate is probably not better for you than other sweets…55:17
-Myth #15: Gluten is perfectly fine for the vast majority of people…58:30
-Myth #16: You can’t sweat out toxins…1:01:46
-Myth #17: Infrared saunas do not detox you or burn fat…1:03:33
-Myth #18: Coconut oil will not help you lose weight, lower your cholesterol, or kill germs or viruses…1:06:08
-Myth #19: Oil pulling is not dental care…1:10:57
-Myth #20: The claims about collagen supplements are way overhyped…1:13:35
-Myth #21: Weighted blankets aren’t a treatment for mental health issues…1:15:40
-Myth #22: Organic cotton tampons and menstrual cups aren’t safer…1:18:00
Resources mentioned in this episode:
– BGF Article: The Best 2018 Detox Program
– Book: Grain Brain
– Kion: My personal playground for new supplement formulations, Kion blends ancestral wisdom with modern science. Ben Greenfield Fitness listeners receive a 10% discount off your entire order when you use discount code: BGF10.
– Organifi Gold: A new take on an ancient secret: Pain-soothing herbs, incredible antioxidants, and phytonutrients all in one delicious, soothing “Golden Milk” nighttime tea! Receive a 20% discount on your entire order when you use discount code: BENG20.
– Vuori: Activewear and athletic clothing for ultimate performance. Vuori is built to move and sweat in, yet designed with a West Coast aesthetic that transitions effortlessly into everyday life. Receive 25% off your first order when you use discount code: BEN25
– Birdwell Beach Britches: Quality is our Gimmick isn’t just our slogan, it’s a commitment we honor with every stitch we sew. 100% money back guarantee. Get 10% off your order, PLUS free shipping on any order over $99 when you use discount code: BENG