Share This Article
In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, we’re talking about all the health benefits of light with Scott Nelson, co-founder of Joovv, one of the world’s most trusted manufacturers of red light therapy devices.
Prior to cofounding Joovv, Scott spent his professional career in leadership positions with some of the largest medical device companies in the world, including Medtronic, Covidien, Boston Scientific, and C.R. Bard. He’s since brought his skills into the arena of red light therapy, called photobiomodulation.
Joovv devices are used by people in their own homes; in salons and spas around the world for natural skin health and anti-aging benefits; and trusted by pro sports teams, Olympians, and world-class trainers and gyms for proven performance and muscle recovery benefits. Clinics and health practitioners also incorporate Joovv as a safe, natural joint pain and inflammation treatment.
“Light is underappreciated as an aspect of health,” says Scott “Most people think of food and supplements and some type of training regimen. But the overwhelming majority of people don’t think of light as part of that kind of overall health equation.”
Junk light matters and high nutrient light matters. Listen on for how light therapy can improve bone, hormone and gut health, collagen production, and more. We talk about the exciting new research that’s emerging about red light therapy, what that means for you and how you can make light part of your own health equation.
I talked with Scott and Joovv’s other co-founder, Justin Strahan, on a previous episode of Bulletproof Radio: LIGHT HACKING: INFRARED, THE SUN & YOUR HEALTH – JOOVV #516. If you haven’t already, I encourage you to listen to that for the backstory on Joovv and how they got started.
Enjoy the show!
Follow Along with the Transcript
“Bright Ideas” Blog: https://joovv.com/blogs/joovv-blog
Bulletproof Radio: Light Hacking: Infrared, The Sun & Your Health – Joovv #516
Dave Asprey Blog: Health Benefits Of Red Light Therapy And How To Get It
- How light works on bones health 00:05:40
- Does red light influence collagen formation? 00:11:00
- How often do you need red light therapy? 00:12:55
- How to know if you are overdosing on light 00:14:30
- Red light therapy for hormone health 00:19:45
- Why progesterone is important 00:23:25
- Why red light therapy is better than supplements 00:24:40
- How to boost your testosterone 00:27:45
- Self-experimenting with low risk and low cost 00:31:20
- The compounding benefits or red light 00:32:40
- Gut bacteria and light 00:35:00
- Red light therapy for cancer treatments 00:38:10
- How light changes water 00:48:00
- The difference between near and far infrared 00:53:15
- The best ways to use light therapy 00:54:00
- What time of day is best to use a Joovv? 00:55:00
- Light therapy vs infrared saunas 00:56:10
- Should you wear eye protection? 00:57:25
- Should you worry about LED flicker? 00:59:20
- The colour of light matters 01:02:30
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/apple and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.