Men’s Journal describes him as “the man behind the Spartan race empire.”
Competitor Magazine calls him the “rising star of obstacle racing.”
Men’s Fitness acknowledges him as “the future of the sport.”
Yes, his list of accolades is indeed mighty impressive. Bad boy turned elite Spartan athlete, in 2011 he moved from New York to Malibu to give a shot at being a celebrity personal trainer and model. After running his first Spartan race on a dare, he placed near the top of the field and was quickly propelled into Elite Spartan status, rarely missing a podium.
He eventually partnered with me on the Obstacle Dominator podcast and also appeared on my show in the episode Inside The Masochistic Mind Of The Top Obstacle Racer On The Face Of The Planet.
But Hunter’s been up to much more lately…
Hunter McIntyre, AKA “Hunt The Sheriff,”—six-time Obstacle Course Racing World Champion, four-time Obstacle Course Racing National Champion, three-year Steve Austin’s Broken Skull Ranch Champion, and two-time Tough Mudder X Champion— was granted a wildcard invitation to the CrossFit Games for chance to measure his accomplishments against a deep field of proven athletes.
In this episode, we get into that journey from Spartan to CrossFit and much, much more.
During our discussion, you’ll discover:
-CrossFitter vs. Spartan event results [5:50]
- 3 Crossfit athletes did an endurance/stamina based Spartan race
- Carrying 190+ lb of gear up mountains with a 30-minute head start
- “I wouldn’t do a cross fit race with a month’s notice, but these guys made it happen.”
- Cross fit is designed for a specific body type: bulky, short, small limbs, etc.
- Ram Roller
-Hunter’s transition from troubled teen to champion Spartan racer [11:30]
- On all types of medication: ADD, ADHD, Adderall, etc.
- Got into lots of trouble as a teen
- Loved the intensity of competition, not the training (wrestling and running)
- In rehab and probation for 3 years (in Montana)
- Sought an activity from his probation officer that would exhaust his physical energy: led to a job as a logger in Montana
- Became a model: art with the body as the canvas
- Moved to California, got into marathons, eventually Spartan races
-What it was like moving from endurance to CrossFit training [21:45]
- The body grows stagnant and the mind becomes bored after doing anything for too long
- TMX – the world’s toughest mile
- Hunter was able to compete and win in CrossFit because of his endurance background; still didn’t get street cred in the CrossFit community
- It’s an incredible test of strength, but not technical strength; if you don’t have technique you can’t play the game
- Wouldn’t feel satisfied unless he could go toe to toe with CrossFit pros
- Was invited to the CrossFit Games as a wild card (first ever invitee)
- Trained on his own, no coach
- In hindsight, Hunter believes he tried to close the gap between a moderate CrossFit athlete to a seasoned pro too quickly
- Age causes one to lose the luster of training for CrossFit and endurance
-How both of our interests have changed regarding training as they age [40:40]
- Japanese and Sardinian centenarians don’t do CrossFit or endurance training
- Difference between getting fit and getting and staying healthy
- Interests change as you rearrange priorities (i.e. what attracts the babes)
-How to recover from intense training sessions as quickly as possible [44:10]
-Hunter’s tips for optimizing sleep [52:40]
- “I’ve never been a person that sleeps very much”
- Need more sleep during CrossFit training than endurance
- Keep cold while sleeping
- Have enough calories in the body
- Fan that provides some noise
- Pulse oximeter
- CBD (Pure Spectrum)
- Eco Challenge
-Books and podcasts Hunter and Ben recommend [1:02:50]
-How Crazy Bobby changed Hunter’s life for the good [1:08:15]
-And much more…
Resources from this episode:
– Books recommended by Hunter and Ben:
–Kion Clean Energy Bars: Satisfying, nutrient-dense, real-food energy bars with a delicious chocolate coconut flavor! Ben Greenfield Fitness listeners, receive a 10% discount off your entire Kion order when you use discount code: BGF10.
–Organifi Gold Chocolate: A new take on an ancient secret: Pain-soothing herbs, incredible antioxidants, and phytonutrients all in one delicious, soothing “Golden Milk” nighttime tea! Receive a 20% discount on your entire order when you use discount code: BENG20.
–Magic Spoon: A brand new company that has reimagined all your favorite childhood breakfast cereals. Low carb, keto-friendly, ZERO sugar, and tastes just like you remember. For free shipping on your order at Magic Spoon, use discount code: BENGREENFIELD
–Made In Cookware: Take your cooking to the next level today! Made In offers a single line of essential pieces simplifying the process of outfitting your kitchen. Receive 15% off your first Made In purchase when you use discount code: GREENFIELD