I care a lot about food, and I fundamentally think food is the single biggest tool you have to increase your performance, to change how you look, and to change how your brain works.
In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, I talk with Dr. Izabella Wentz, PharmD, an internationally acclaimed thyroid specialist and licensed pharmacist who has dedicated her career to addressing the root causes of autoimmune thyroid disease after being diagnosed with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis in 2009. She also cares about food in the same way that I do. She developed the term “food pharmacology” to explain the profound effect that food has on our physiology and biology.
From her self-described “nerdy pharmacist” perspective, food works in ways similar to medication in the human body. She wants people to become their own food gurus and ask: “If I have this symptom, what do I need to modify? Is there a digestive enzyme that I need to take? Or is there a nutrient that can really up-level my response to nutrition?” Our conversation also touches on adaptive physiology, food sensitivities, mold and essential self-care.
She believes food can be a powerful ally in your healing journey. “My goal is to establish a communication pathway for people between their bodies and the things that they’re ingesting,” she says.
As a patient advocate, researcher, clinician, educator and also a best-selling author of two previous books and a new one publishing in March, she is committed to raising awareness on how to overcome autoimmune thyroid disease, how to use food as medicine, and how to manage the stresses and toxins in our everyday environments.
Follow Along with the Transcript
Previous appearances on Bulletproof Radio:
Properly Diagnosing and Defeating Thyroid Disease, Bulletproof Radio #408
Reversing Autoimmune Thyroid Disease in 90 Days, Bulletproof Radio #400
Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis & The Root Cause, Bulletproof Radio #256
The Root Cause of Hashimoto’s, Bulletproof Radio #137
- What is adaptive physiology 00:08:30
- Every body has inflammation happening every single day 00:14:20
- Food pharmacology versus regular pharma 00:24:35
- Mold is an underappreciated Autoimmune trigger 00:30:35
- Learning to say NO 00:46:20
- Bigger Ideas:
- How to survive a famine 00:07:30
- What the origin of autoimmunity could be 00:11:20
- What to do during times of stress 00:15:45
- Some basic and cheap self-care practices 00:18:30
- “There are a lot of different foods that are a problem for Autoimmune” 00:28:00
- How diet plays a roll 00:37:55
- Advice for mom’s and sleep 00:47:35
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/iTunes and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.