July 15, 2023
Are you intrigued by the power of stem cells and regenerative medicine but left with a head full of questions every time you try to learn more?
- What’s better: your own stem cells or a different source?
- Is it true stem cells “don’t work” without some kind of scaffolding to “grow on”?
- Do you need to combine stem cells with exosomes?
- Are tissue engineering and gene editing as dangerous as they sound?
- Can stem cells be combined with things like peptides and hormones and if so, how?
In this enlightening conversation with Dr. Adeel Khan, you’ll have the opportunity to hear the answers to all those questions and many more (that you may not even know you had!).
Dr. Adeel Khan is an internationally recognized expert in regenerative medicine, having treated numerous high-profile celebrities and athletes. After earning his MD from the University of Ottawa in Canada, he specialized in sports medicine and led one of the first Health Canada-approved clinical trials with mesenchymal stromal cells. Adeel is now the Chief Scientific Officer of Science & Humans and the co-founder of xALT.
Science & Humans is a platform committed to managing hormone imbalances using evidence-based treatments, fostering individualized therapies to enhance energy, longevity, and overall well-being. Meanwhile, xALT brings the human touch to online health and fitness. It offers personalized, affordable training via a comprehensive intake process and a unique mobility assessment, aiming to significantly improve health outcomes and promote physical fitness for longevity. Together, Science & Humans and xALT embody Adeel’s dedication to enhancing health through scientific innovation and personal connection.
In the discussion with Adeel, you’ll discover the science of enhancing stem cell function, the difference between stem cells and progenitor cells, the future of gene editing and its interaction with cell therapy and tissue engineering, and even get a sneak peek into Dr. Khan’s unique daily routine for optimal health.
During our discussion, you’ll discover:
-Dr. Adeel Khan…06:35
- How Adeel became the go-to guy in the stem cell industry
- Trained by experts in the field like Dr. Galea, the pioneer of PRP
- Went on to work with Dr. Ian White at the University of Toronto
- How to enhance stem cell function
- How to better select the best candidates for stem cell therapy
- The key difference between what Adeel and Dr. Ian White and what everybody else is doing is actually having third-party testing to validate cytokine profiles
- A proprietary process on how to harvest umbilical cord stem cells and amniotic fluid
- Working with a scientist from Italy, Dr. Giuseppe Mucci, founder of the Bioscience Institute
-Profiling stem cells…13:27
- It’s called Flow Cytometry
- Profiling stem cells – two important aspects:
- Quality control – 50% of the money we spend on just stem cell processing is for quality control to test for infections, diseases, and to make sure they’re good quality cells
- Flow cytometry – test to look at the actual markers, called CD markers
- Most clinics offering stem cells are actually offering what are called committed progenitor cells or medicinal signaling cells
- Unless you isolate the actual mesenchymal stem cells or stromal cells and expand them in a facility, they are not true stem cells
- Paracrine – signaling system that sends signals to reduce inflammation
- Any sort of true stem cells where you’re isolating, expanding, or taking perinatal tissue like amniotic or umbilical cord stem cells are classified as a drug
- Not allowed to be used in the U.S.
- Podcast with Dr. Harry Adelson:
- Judge Rules in Favor of Stem Cell Clinic
- Expanded stem cells are approved pretty much everywhere except Canada and the U.S.
-Stem cells vs. progenitor cells…18:39
- Progenitor cells don’t engraft and renew tissue; they help reduce inflammation, which is especially important for osteoarthritis
- The regenerative medicine triad:
- Stem cells – expanded cells
- Growth factors – expanded cells have growth factor
- Scaffold – a biodegradable hydrogel made up of hyaluronic acid
- FDA-approved clinical trial for 3D bio-printing scaffold
- A method to avoid knee and hip replacements
- Using your own stem cells (autologous) vs. someone else’s (allogeneic)
- Expanded stem cells have much better results
- Interosseous injections of stem cells
- Ben’s experience with interosseous injections
- It takes 3-4 weeks to expand bone marrow or fat
- Preferable to use the umbilical cord when it comes to IV stem cells
- When it comes to injections, fat is preferable
-Recovery time from the procedure…26:37
- It varies but recovery time is fast
- Some people are pain-free and feel great in a week
- Other people have pretty bad pain for 2-3 days and with pain for 2-3 weeks
- It took Ben about five days, and he used
- Stacking pathways
- Chronic pain is usually addressed only with pain medication
- Many things can cause pain
- Disease starts in the cell
- Regenerative medicine offers many different therapies and paths
- The Pharmacist docuseries
- Type of IV stem cells used
- Generally, from umbilical cord tissue, not blood
- Stem cell exhaustion is one of the hallmarks of aging
- As you get old, stem cells decrease
- Tissue engineering
- 3D bioprinting
- Creating scaffolds, synthetic or using biomaterials like hydrogels
- 3D bioprinting
- We’re not far away from printing organs
- Instead of getting a kidney donor, you can just print a new kidney and implant it
- If you had the right type of bio-ink for cartilage, you can print a knee, an elbow, or a joint
- A lot more research is done in China, Japan, and Korea on this than in the U.S.
- China is probably the leader in biomaterials and 3D bioprinting
-What is gene editing?…33:51
- The doctor in China who was arrested because of his work in gene editing
- Modified the embryo to give it certain traits
- Creates many ethical problems
- Available only to rich people
- Creating an elitist society
- Could be used for regenerative medicine
- The intersection of gene editing, cell therapy, tissue engineering
- Customizing a cell
- CAR T (Chimeric Antigen Receptor T-Cell) technology approved by the FDA
- Uses gene editing and cell therapy
- Edits T-cells to go and kill cancer cells
- First regenerative hospital in the world is being built in Mexico
- Adeel is going to be the Assistant Managing Director
- Follistatin gene therapy and its downsides
- The peptides used in stacking pathways
- Thymosin α-1 and Thymosin β-4
- The thymus gland is one of the master regulators of the immune system, where T cells are created
- Helps to immunomodulate or to regulate the immune system
- Combination of therapies to be offered in Mexico for treating autoimmune conditions
- IV stem cells
- FMT (Fecal Microbial Transplant)
- Combining stem cells with exosomes
- Exosomes – poor man’s stem cells; can be good and have their own role
- Effects of stem cells can be more long-lasting than the effects offered by exosomes
- Optimization of hormones
- Testosterone replacement therapy – frequent injections are most effective
- Testosterone gels have very variable absorption – some people do not notice any effects at all
-Adeel’s daily routine…46:57
- Guided meditation for 10 minutes in the morning
- Taking a DHEA supplement
- Intermittent fasting 16-18 hours
- HMB to preserve muscles
- Podcast with Shawn Wells:
- Kion Aminos
- Intermittent fasting risk of losing muscle
- High-intensity strength training
- NAD for sleep deprivation
- Podcast with Dr. John Lieurance:
- Prioritizing sleep
- Vitamin C
- Ashwagandha KSM66
- Podcast with Lew Lim:
- DSIP (use code BEN to save 15%)
- Valerian root
- Kion Sleep + CBD + Melatonin
-And much more…
- Disrupt Healthcare: September 29 – October 1, 2023
Join me for the Disrupt 2023 Event in Atlanta, Georgia between September 29th – October 1st. This highly practical and immersive workshop will feature live Q&As, my top secrets for career success, and much more! Head to bengreenfieldlife.com/disrupt2023 to claim your spot today.
- Couples Collective: October 25 – 29, 2023
Join Jessa and me for an exclusive and immersive way to explore health, wellness, and mindset with your significant other in Napa, California October 25th – 29th. Head over to ownitcoaching.com/couples-collective to apply.
Click here for the full written transcript of this podcast episode.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
– Dr. Adeel Khan:
– Podcasts And Articles:
- The Future Of Stem Cell Therapy, Making Fancy Stem Cell Protocols Affordable To More People Than The Elite Rich, Stem Cell Injection Secrets & Much More With Dr. Harry Adelson.
- Fringe Supplement Stacks You’ve Never Heard Of, The Best Nootropic Combinations, The Latest Keto Support Compounds, Supplements That Act Like “Exercise In A Bottle” & Much More With Shawn Wells
- The “Dr. Strange” Of Medicine & Biohacking: Methylene Blue, Stem Cells, Lasers, Earth, Air, Water, Fire & More With Dr. John Lieurance.
- How To Blast The Brain With Energy by Using Red Light Therapy Headsets, Laser/LED Treatment For COVID, Instantly Shift the Brain Into A “Bliss” State & More With Vielight’s Lew Lim.
- DHEA, Steroid Cycling, Liposomes & More: Everything You Need To Know About Fringe Over-The-Counter Health Supplements That Build Muscle & Burn Fat.
– Other Resources:
Big Bold Health: Right now, Big Bold Health is offering listeners of this podcast 10% off your order. You can use this for Microbiome Rejuvenate, Himalayan Tartary Buckwheat Flour or any other single product. To claim your offer, head to BigBoldHealth.com and use code BEN10 for 10% off.
HVMN: Visit hvmn.me/BenG and use code BENG20 for 20% off any purchase of Ketone-IQ️. This is an exclusive offer for podcast listeners. You can now find HVMN in California Earthbar locations (located within Equinox).
Hiya: Get your kids the full-body nourishment they need to grow into healthy adults. We’ve worked out a special deal with Hiya for their best-selling children’s vitamin. Receive 50% off your first order. To claim this deal you must go to hiyahealth.com/BEN. This deal is not available on their regular website.
Cured Nutrition: Experience enhanced sleep and wake up refreshed with CURED’s sleep-enhancing formulas. Visit www.curednutrition.com/ben, use coupon code BEN at checkout, and save 20% on any of their transformative blends today!
Fart of War: The Fart of War is a hilarious, slightly odorous card game designed by my sons and me as part of our first-ever father-son gaming company, Fried Pickles Games. Head to fartofwar.com to learn more about this unique game and to grab your own. Your family will never sit around the table for game night the same way again.
Do you have questions, thoughts, or feedback for Adeel Khan or me? Leave your comments below and one of us will reply!